We recognise that in a number of situations we may come across adults that require safeguarding so the purpose of this policy is to protect our staff from harm. This includes harm arising from:
- The conduct of staff associated with TechTalent Academy
- The design and implementation of TechTalent Academy’s courses and activities
The policy lays out the commitments made by TechTalent Academy and informs staff and associated personnel of their responsibilities in relation to safeguarding.
This policy does not cover:
- Sexual harassment in the workplace – this is dealt with in the ‘Staff Handbook TTA’
- Safeguarding concerns in the wider community not perpetrated by TechTalent Academy or associated personnel
What is safeguarding?
In the UK, safeguarding means protecting peoples’ health, wellbeing and human rights, and enabling them to live free from harm, abuse and neglect.
In relation to TechTalent Academy, we understand it to mean protecting people from harm that arises from coming into contact with our staff or courses.
The practices and procedures within this policy are based on the principles contained in UK legislation and take the following into consideration:
- The Human Rights Act 1998
- The Equality Act 2010
- The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012
- Sexual Offences Act 2003
- The Data Protection Act 2018
The following people are expected to comply with this policy:
- All staff contracted by TechTalent Academy
- Associated personnel whilst engaged with work or visits related to TechTalent Academy, including but not limited to the following: consultants; volunteers; contractors; course visitors and guest contributors.
TechTalent Academy believes that everyone we come into contact with, regardless of age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation or ethnic origin has the right to be protected from all forms of harm, abuse, neglect and exploitation. TechTalent Academy will not tolerate abuse and exploitation by staff or associated personnel.
TechTalent Academy commits to addressing safeguarding through prevention, reporting and response.
It is the responsibility of all representatives of TechTalent Academy to raise any concerns you have or any concerns which are reported to you according to this policy.
This policy does not form part of an employees’ terms and conditions of employment and may be subject to change at the discretion of management.
TechTalent Academy responsibilities
TechTalent Academy will:
- Make this policy available to all staff, provide appropriate means for staff to become familiar with, and know their responsibilities within this policy
- Design and undertake all its courses and activities in a way that protects people from any risk of harm that may arise from their coming into contact with TechTalent Academy. This includes the way in which information about individuals on our courses is gathered and communicated
- Implement stringent safeguarding procedures when recruiting, managing and deploying staff and associated personnel
- Adopt safeguarding practices through procedures and company values
- Make training available on safeguarding for staff
- Follow up on reports of safeguarding concerns promptly and according to the agreed procedures as set out in the Safeguarding Reporting Procedures
- Appoint a lead trustee with responsibility for safeguarding
- Review this policy annually and have it approved by the Leadership Team
- Record and store information professionally and securely, and share information about safeguarding and good practice with staff and volunteers via the staff handbook and other communication
- Use its safeguarding procedures to share concerns with agencies who need to know
- Use its procedures to manage any allegations against staff and volunteers appropriately
- Create and maintain an anti-bullying environment and include appropriate policy and procedure to help it deal effectively with any bullying that does arise
- Establish effective complaints and whistleblowing measures
- Provide a safe physical environment for staff, volunteers, and course participants by applying health and safety measures in accordance with the law and regulatory guidance.
TechTalent Academy staff and associated personnel must not:
- Sexually abuse or exploit anyone
- Subject anyone to physical, emotional or psychological abuse, or neglect
- Exchange money, employment, goods or services for sexual activity.
Additionally, TechTalent Academy staff and associated personnel are obliged to:
- Contribute to creating and maintaining an environment that prevents safeguarding violations and promotes the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy
- Value, listen to and respect all people whom they come into contact with
- Report any concerns or suspicions regarding safeguarding violations by a TechTalent Academy staff member or associated personnel to the appropriate staff member
TechTalent Academy will ensure that safe, appropriate, accessible means of reporting safeguarding concerns are made available to staff and the course participants we work with.
Any staff reporting concerns or complaints through formal whistleblowing channels (or if they request it) will be protected by TechTalent Academy’s Whistleblowing Policy.
TechTalent Academy will also accept complaints from people other than staff, such as course participants and members of the public. Participants and members of the public can report concerns to the Safeguarding Trustee, TechTalent Academy.
How to report a safeguarding concern – staff
Staff members who have a complaint or concern relating to safeguarding should report it immediately to the Safeguarding Trustee or line manager. If the staff member does not feel comfortable reporting to the Safeguarding Trustee (name and contact details), or line manager (for example if they feel that the report will not be taken seriously, or if that person is implicated in the concern) they may report to any other appropriate staff member. For example, this could be the Head of People or a senior manager.
How to report a safeguarding concern – people other than staff (programme participants, etc)
Course participants and members of the public who have a complaint or concern relating to safeguarding should contact the Safeguarding Trustee (Satinder Sohal – Satinder@techtalent.academy), TechTalent Academy, in the first instance.
TechTalent Academy will follow up safeguarding reports and concerns according to policy and procedure, and legal and statutory obligations (see Procedures for reporting and response to safeguarding concerns in Associated Policies).
TechTalent Academy will make any relevant authorities aware of any allegations made.
TechTalent Academy will apply appropriate disciplinary measures to staff found in breach of policy.
Where staff or associated personnel have caused harm to a person, regardless of whether or not a formal internal response is initiated (such as an internal investigation), TechTalent Academy will offer appropriate support to that person.
Staff and associated personnel will maintain confidentiality at all stages of the process when dealing with safeguarding concerns. Information relating to the concern and subsequent case management will be shared strictly on a need to know basis, and will be kept secure at all times.
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Anti-harassment & Bullying Policy
- Anti-corruption and Bribery Policy
- Disciplinary Rules
- Disciplinary Procedure
- Whistleblowing Policy
- Data Protection Policy
- Other Policies as appropriate
This document will be reviewed and updated where required every 12 months.
Last reviewed: 16 February 2021