Welcome to TechTalent Academy.
The growing shortage of digital skills means there are many opportunities for people to upskill and move into the tech sector. We think this is a perfect opportunity for all to embrace greater diversity and flexibility of thinking.
Please notify TechTalent Academy as soon as you receive this document if you have additional learning needs, or if you require special equipment, or a special environment to allow this training to take place, please contact our Technical Analyst or the person who onboarded you.
You will be advised of your course start date by a member of the Admissions Team.
Please ensure that you have read and understood the following requirements before beginning the course:
- Complete and return your onboarding paperwork, including a signed copy of your learner’s contract. These will be sent to you upon acceptance of your place on the Data Academy.
- Complete the pre-course material labelled ‘Compulsory’ before your designated start date. Details can be found under the ‘Pre-Course Material’ section of this welcome pack.
- Ensure you are prepared to seek employment within the tech sector following completion of the Data Academy, and to keep TechTalent Academy informed as to any role / employment you accept.
- An update on your employment status will be requested at 30, 60, and 90 days after your graduation. This information is vital to the release of funding to cover your place on the Academy.
Please contact either the Admissions Team if you have any issues or concerns before starting the course. Your assigned Trainer will make contact before the course begins.
General enquiries firstname.lastname@example.org
You will need access to a laptop or desktop from day one of the course. The course materials are based on Windows/Mac applications, so please advise your technical trainer or the person who on-boarded you, if you do not have access to a Windows/Mac device.
At a minimum, a laptop with a current operating system, such as Windows 8/10 or MacOS 10.15 (Catalina), should be sufficient to carry out your course.
Some suggested system requirements are as follows: • Intel i5 CPU, with an i7 recommended. • 8GB RAM, with 16GB recommended. • 1920 x 1080 resolution monitor display.
Please note that tablets and mobile devices are not suitable for the course.
You will need to download the following free software applications to your laptop prior to the course (your trainer will help you during day one if you encounter any issues, suggesting alternatives that may be available).
If you haven’t already signed up for Zoom, then please do so.
Learners will understand the fundamentals of Python, setting the grounding for programming through learning about variables, functions, arrays etc. They will create projects to advance their basic skills and progress in the course.
Here the learners build their own portfolio website which will showcase the projects they will be creating throughout the course. They learn that HTML & CSS are essential in understanding how websites are developed and how they could also be compromised by cyber criminals.
The learners look at the history of Cyber Security, the different types of attacks and the ways to prevent and protect an organisation as well as their personal networks. The practical elements involve labs where they can test their knowledge in this area.
Learners start getting deeper into programming. Looking at Object Oriented Programming, Structs and perfecting their skills. They continue to build projects in order to continue practicing.
Learners look at Linux and how it fits in with cyber security. They do hands on practical exercises to test their knowledge in the area.
Learners dive deeper into object-oriented programming with Java, learning the language as well as some interview questions and a few sorting algorithms as well as how Java fits in with cyber security.
Learners get a thorough understanding of Networks and how important they are in Cyber Security, as well as what methods they can take in order to secure any network and look out for potential threats.
- BCS Information Security Management Principles
The final session in the course looks at security fundamentals where the students learn about the methodology as well as the frameworks associated with security. Their understanding is applied to real life scenarios within a workplace.
Home learning: Work hours are flexible, but please note that your Trainer will only be available during core hours, and there may be additional group Zoom calls scheduled. Again, this will be agreed with the Trainers. Each week you will be given a home learning deadline. This will usually be the day before your next class. It is important that you meet these deadlines to avoid falling behind.
Home learning submission format: Home learning will be submitted via GitHub. You will receive guidance on how to create a GitHub account and link this to your PC. You will be required to provide your GitHub account details to your Trainer. Each week you will upload your home learning to your GitHub account, and this will be reviewed by your Trainer. Confirmation of receipt and any feedback will be provided to you via Slack.
We would also very much appreciate your feedback on how we can improve each module and the course. You will receive feedback forms via email.
- To build a portfolio to showcase their projects and demonstrate their understanding of programming.
- To learn best practices in the industry as well as debugging code.
- To understand how Linux is used in Penetration Testing and Cyber Security.
- Gain thorough knowledge of Network Security and how to mitigate any potential risks.
- Learn about Cyber Security and how is has evolved over the years and what threats are present today.
- Understanding of Agile and the frameworks to apply the principles to any future employment within the industry.
- Developing teamwork, leadership, and decision making/problem-solving skills.
Your tutor is Michelle Sheppard
Here is the link to the lessons which are delivered on:
11am – 12pm
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 843 4976 5901
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,84349765901#,,,,*493306# US (Washington DC)
+13126266799,,84349765901#,,,,*493306# US (Chicago)
Dial by your location
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 843 4976 5901
Find your local number: https://us06web.zoom.us/u/kbZ7vbvZsP